Cliff Funnell Associates
Cliff Funnell Associates is a small Management Consultancy formed in 1989. Present clients include the UK Department of Trade & Industry (DTI), the European Commission, and the Marine Institute in Ireland, as well as Jane’s Information Group and BAE Systems. Previous clients have included the UK Marine & Coastguard Agency (MCA), and government agencies in Canada and Sweden, as well as a number of UK companies and research institutes. Activities have included R&D programme management and promotion, corporate strategy, business development, market research, and project finance.
Cliff Funnell has worked under contract to the DTI since 1983 and acted as Programme Consultant, involved in programme development, promotion and management, on the following UK and European programmes:
- Efficient Ship Programme – a collaborative research programme to develop marine equipment for advanced ships (1985 - 1990)
- Resources from the Sea Programme - a collaborative research programme to develop marine resource technologies (1984 - 1987)
- Wealth from the Oceans Programme - a collaborative pre-competitive research programme to develop marine resource technologies (1988 - 1992)
- The EUREKA/EUROMAR umbrella project relating to marine environmental and marine resource technologies (1986 - 2001)
In addition, under contract to the DTI, he has acted as:
- DTI Consultant for the FP3 MAST-II Programme
- UK Industrial Focal Point for the FP4 MAST-III Programme
- UK FP5 Marine Technology “National Contact Point”
- UK FP6 Waterborne Transport “National Contact Point”
Cliff Funnell presently works under contract to the DTI as the UK’s National Contact Point (NCP) for Surface Transport (i.e. waterborne, automotive & rail), within the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7). [http://www.fp7uk.org for further information].
He is also presently Editor of Jane’s Underwater Warfare Systems and Jane’s Underwater Security Systems & Technologies, both technical reference publications providing information and analysis on underwater warfare and security equipment.
Cliff Funnell served for five years in the Merchant Navy with Shell Tankers, leaving in 1979 as Third Officer. He graduated from the University of Southampton in 1982 with a B.Sc (Hons) in Nautical Studies. In 1988 he was awarded a Masters degree in Business Administration (MBA) and, in 2006, an LLB (Hons) in English Law.